Waiters / Waitresses
Waiters and waitresses take orders and serve food and beverages to customers in dining establishments.
Waiters and waitresses, also called servers, are responsible for ensuring that customers have a satisfying dining experience. The specific duties of servers vary considerably with the establishment in which they work.
In casual-dining restaurants that offer simple fare, such as salads, soups, and sandwiches, servers are expected to provide fast, efficient, and courteous service.They emphasize personal, attentive treatment at a more leisurely pace.
Waiters and waitresses typically do the following:
- Greet customers, present menus, and explain daily specials to customers.
- Answer questions related to menu items.
- Take food and beverage orders from customers.
- Relay food and beverage orders to the kitchen staff.
- Prepare drinks and food garnishes.
- Carry trays of food or drinks from the kitchen to the dining tables.
- Remove dirty dishes and glasses, and clean tables after customers finish meals.
- Prepare itemized checks and take payments from customers.
- Clean and set up dining areas, refill condiments, roll silverware into napkins, and stock service areas.